The forum is now archived and available for reading only. To find older posts, you can use a search engine.
If you need assistance, you can contact our Support or use Steam discussions, Discord or Reddit. Thank you.

Close calls
10-08-2014, 08:38 PM
Plague Inc Close calls
Hi !

Let's share game stories that had you think out of the box, no matter if you lost or won it was close and involved interresting decisions.

Bacteria, Mega Brutal, Patient Zero from the USA.

The start was slow, took about 500 days for the plague to really get going. The plan was to target rich, urban countries to make insomnia really effective in slowing the cure.

1. Rodents (because of the above reason)
2. Water
3. Air
4. Drugs I
5. Bacteria shell I

The first two mutations were lucky and granted the plague Hyper Sensivity (ideal to spread the rich countries), since it wasn't noticed yet I devolved its requirement.

The USA have contacts with almost everyone and the map suddenly looked like fireworks. I invested in coughing and vomiting for the infectivity combo and to get more DNA from red bubbles ... And was detected at last. I quickly picked Insomnia, Paranoia and the 2 slower research abilities.

About midway toward total infection (with some countries still barely infected if at all) I got the total organs failure mutation. It was too early, but I needed more DNA to get the harder to cure abilities and I wouldn't mind taking down some government either. Invested in necrosis to avoid losing hosts too fast, and closely monitored iceland and greenland which were only recently infected and that I couldn't afford to lose.

It lasted for about 50 days before I had to devolve, and it killed nearly half of the humans. The surprise came from Angola who decided to start shooting infected people and managed to clear the plague. I couldn't get more than 5 people infected from neighbour countries that died quickly after. The cure was getting really close to completion (> 90%). I couldn't spare DNA to deal with Angola or Iceland, I had to save up to buy time with the related abilities.

Fortunatly, other countries were starting to break down one after another. It got to the point the cure was 1 year away (95%) and stabilized. Iceland was still looking healthy but was steadly, although slowly, going down. Angola though, they were still shooting their own people and managing to keep the plague in check. Nearby countries were half dead and soon I would be unable to do anything about it.

I was almost out of DNAs and the symptoms already reached prohibiting costs. Neighbours bought me enough time to, at last, get blood II. 8 people infected in Angola, then 10, 9, 7, back to 10 ... It wasn't clear which way it would go, if all of them died now it would be mankind "victory". The other problem was Iceland being still somwhat healthy and contributing massively to help the cure.

Nothing I could do about it but to watch. My last move (blood II) was on day 900, cure at 97% or so. It took 600 more days to wipe humanity.

TL;DR: Not my first victory on mega brutal but this one was so damn close. It's probably not an interresting read though, but felt like posting it for myself to read and remember later. Have a good day !
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2014, 10:24 AM
RE: Close calls
Ha - cool idea for a thread Smile I think some of the closest calls I've seen are when players get the cure at 100% and manage to win from there with cure-destroying abilities etc. Pretty heart-stopping to see people come back from that!
19-08-2014, 10:23 PM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2014 10:24 PM by PlagueIncaf5.)
RE: Close calls
I got around 99% with the simian flu! Getting rid of those research labs then coming back with only around 1-2 billion left usually will do the trick. Although, you do need apes to evolve to my knowledge.

(11-08-2014 10:24 AM)NdemicMa Wrote:  Ha - cool idea for a thread Smile I think some of the closest calls I've seen are when players get the cure at 100% and manage to win from there with cure-destroying abilities etc. Pretty heart-stopping to see people come back from that!

It seems to be very common with the simian flu! The high research speed with Gen-Sys and being able to destroy research labs definitely helps a lot!
Find all posts by this user