The forum is now archived and available for reading only. To find older posts, you can use a search engine.
If you need assistance, you can contact our Support or use Steam discussions, Discord or Reddit. Thank you.

Should Plague Inc. Add Ebola?
18-08-2014, 10:00 PM
Should Plague Inc. Add Ebola?
There has been some talk about adding the current plague virus ebola in Plague Inc.

Should we do it?

I made an article about it down below and am wondering your opinions.

http://icspicy.blogspot.com/2014/08/the-...e-inc.html

Anyway, there has been some talk on other sites such as..

http://www.technologytell.com/gaming/132...get-ebola/

So.... what is your thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2014, 07:57 AM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2014 07:58 AM by AncientD96b.)
RE: Should Plague Inc. Add Ebola?
I can make smth like Ebola on Virus level, it's easy, but transmission won't be correct. So it may be good to add Ebola as scenario
19-08-2014, 12:22 PM
Yes. Plague inc desingers should milk out as many real life/fantasy scenarios before releasing the editor.
20-08-2014, 01:07 PM
Я решил смоделировать вирус Эбола через нановирус при сценарии закрытия границ, сделал те же самые симптомы, пути передачи и умения. Итог: Слишком быстро распространяется по сравнению с текущей ситуацией. Это можно хоть как нибудь подправить?
P.S. Уровень сложности стоял "Крайне Сложно".

I decided simulate the Ebola virus through nanovirus under scenario border closures, did the same symptoms, modes of transmission and skills. Bottom line: Too spreads rapidly in comparison with the current situation. This can be at least as something correct?
P.S. Difficulty level was "extremely difficult".
30-08-2014, 06:54 AM
Lightbulb RE: Should Plague Inc. Add Ebola?
I've read (somewhere?) that to add a specific Ebola pathogen type to the game may be regarded as in poor taste, which I completely understand. I've been trying to run simulations using the game on Brutal mode just to see what general pattern emerges on how it may spread, always with bone-chilling results. However, I realise that the slow development of symptoms alone makes the simulation fall far short of realism. (For example, by the time you get round to adding haemorrhagic symptoms, many millions have already caught the disease.) Here's one idea for how the game might be used for slightly more realistic simulations rather than game play. If this were implemented, there would be no need to create releases for specific diseases (Ebola, MERS, etc), as with a little research the player can design their own.

Idea
Add a mode for simulation only, which on the scale of difficulty would be lower than casual.
  • In this mode, the player wouldn't be able to unlock any game items or uncover genes.
  • The player is able to 'overdraw' their DNA points at the beginning of the game (preferably at the beginning of the game only). This way, it would be possible to set up all symptoms, transmission types and abilities at once.
  • Unless the overdraft is cleared at the end of the game, from a gameplay p.o.v. this could be regarded as some kind of failure. (Or maybe this a dodgy requirement. Don't know.)
  • When the game starts, the DNA would show negative figures (in an obvious way), that are updated as usual as the disease spreads and bubbles are popped.
  • The player will not be able to add any symptoms etc or remove spontaneous mutations until their DNA balance is non-negative.
  • To avoid starting with a massive overdraft, the player could set progress of the cure (again, at the beginning of the game only): the higher the progress, the less DNA indebted the player will be when they start. This could also be used to model the fact that research is already underway on a real life disease.
The reasons I suggest the major changes at the beginning of the game are that (a) allowing additional overdrafts mid-game may take away all challenge aspects, and (b) changing the cure progress mid-game may be a nightmare to specify, given that (presumably) spending etc. is allocated against individual countries - if set up manually at the beginning it could just be allocated to some general world body (WHO?).
30-08-2014, 04:21 PM
They should do Ebola as a Bioweapon Scenario. Then they can then add fictional transmissions which would enable ebola as is to take over the world. otherwise i guess it just wouldnt happen.

its like swine flu... they did a new version of it. because the real one died off.
30-08-2014, 04:28 PM
(30-08-2014 04:21 PM)AnimalM Wrote:  They should do Ebola as a Bioweapon Scenario. Then they can then add fictional transmissions which would enable ebola as is to take over the world. otherwise i guess it just wouldnt happen.

its like swine flu... they did a new version of it. because the real one died off.

Why Bioweapon?Ebola is not artificial...
30-08-2014, 09:38 PM
They could add ebolapox. It's a mix between small pox and ebola. It was a project by the Soviet Union.
30-08-2014, 11:27 PM
(30-08-2014 09:38 PM)RapGo Wrote:  They could add ebolapox. It's a mix between small pox and ebola. It was a project by the Soviet Union.

That sounds like a zombie pandemic in real life. It is even scarier when you hear about the symptoms of ebola and the infectiousness of smallpox.
31-08-2014, 12:00 AM
Yeah it's crazy scary. That would have been deadly if they would have used it.