The forum is now archived and available for reading only. To find older posts, you can use a search engine.
If you need assistance, you can contact our Support or use Steam discussions, Discord or Reddit. Thank you.

HIV and noncommunicable diseases
11-11-2015, 06:03 PM
HIV and noncommunicable diseases
Hi there. I'm new to this message board, so not sure if these topics have been previously suggested. I read that Plague may come out with an HIV/AIDS scenario. I would be happy to volunteer to help. I am currently a research scientist at a public health institute, previously worked at Johns Hopkins studying HIV epidemiology primarily in sub-Saharan Africa, and founded an AIDS awareness organization. Additionally I think it would be interesting to create scenarios for noncommunicable diseases, such as obesity-related conditions and depression, or other public health problems such as violence and injuries. Changing policies and social norms would be the avenues of spreading the diseases/conditions rather than means such as water, air, or animals.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-11-2015, 05:42 AM
RE: HIV and noncommunicable diseases
Newcomer here as well, just joined. I only play on mobile ATM.

So do I understand correctly; what you are basically suggesting are plagues that must be influenced indirectly by altering the world in order to spread them? I think that sounds like a neat idea! It would certainly put a new gameplay "perspective" twist on Plague Inc.
13-11-2015, 03:21 PM
Right. In the current version, countries (but not users) can change the course of the epidemic by closing their borders, etc. My background is in international relations and public administration, so I'm interested in the effects of policies and their implementation. In a noncommunicable diseases version, the player could decide to change gun control policies (in the case of violence), change the proportion of fast food restaurants in a geographic area (in the case of obesity), etc. Even for a version with an infectious disease like HIV it would be interesting to allow the player to make changes in policy or social areas like sex education in schools, legal status of same-sex relationships, criminalization/enforcement of laws against sex work, stigma, and so on.

(13-11-2015 05:42 AM)The Psycho Pathol Wrote:  Newcomer here as well, just joined. I only play on mobile ATM.

So do I understand correctly; what you are basically suggesting are plagues that must be influenced indirectly by altering the world in order to spread them? I think that sounds like a neat idea! It would certainly put a new gameplay "perspective" twist on Plague Inc.
14-11-2015, 07:54 PM
So basically, in short, you have in mind the implementation of gameplay involving "diseases" that must be "caused" indirectly, by altering the world, rather than "spread" through infections by directly evolving the pathogen, as is traditional in Plague Inc. Do I understand correctly?