The forum is now archived and available for reading only. To find older posts, you can use a search engine.
If you need assistance, you can contact our Support or use Steam discussions, Discord or Reddit. Thank you.

Issue with running the game
08-03-2014, 12:31 AM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2014 12:34 AM by GhostZe3f0.)
Issue with running the game
So I know that a few people have this problem and I've done everything I can to fix it and nothing has worked. Every time I run Plague Inc it shows me this:

To which I've been told to do many things. Turn off my antivirus, uninstall and reinstall both the 32bit and 64bit versions of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributables, uninstall and reinstall Steam, uninstall and reinstall Plague Inc Evolved, uninstall and reinstall Steam AND Plague Inc Evolved at the same time, uninstall and reinstall both the 32bit and 64bit versions of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributables AND Plague Inc Evolved at the same time, do all that with my antivirus off, hop on one foot while rubbing my belly and patting my head, praying to Cthulu, and no matter what I do I always get this:

I've searched through forums and the bug report section, and asked others, but no one can help me out here. I had a programmer friend of mine take a look and he couldn't figure it out but he was convinced the developers of Plague Inc Evolved don't know where to put files. Yet if that were the case, a lot more people would be having a problem. I'll post the log, please help me fix this.

.txt  output_log.txt (Size: 6.32 KB / Downloads: 7)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2014, 12:37 AM
RE: Issue with running the game
I'm not expert in this at all, but have you tried running Steam as an administrator and then running the game? Also check and see if your firewall allows Steam and Plague. Other than that I can't really help you, sorry, but I'm sure somebody else can Smile
08-03-2014, 12:43 AM
(08-03-2014 12:37 AM)Buddhan Wrote:  I'm not expert in this at all, but have you tried running Steam as an administrator and then running the game? Also check and see if your firewall allows Steam and Plague. Other than that I can't really help you, sorry, but I'm sure somebody else can Smile

Just tried that, I get the same thing. Thanks anyway.
08-03-2014, 12:57 AM
Sorry, back again, I just read your log and saw "Could not load a dll file. Make sure that the steam_api.dll/libsteam_api.dylib file is placed at the correct location."

I know you've already tried uninstalling the game, but have you tried actually going in to the SteamApps folder and deleting the entire Plague folder? Sometimes Steam leaves behind files when uninstalling games through the client. Try that then go in to your library and then going back in to your library and uninstalling the game through your client again (just so you have the option to re-install the game again). Then try reinstalling your game.
08-03-2014, 01:04 AM
(08-03-2014 12:57 AM)Buddhan Wrote:  Sorry, back again, I just read your log and saw "Could not load a dll file. Make sure that the steam_api.dll/libsteam_api.dylib file is placed at the correct location."

I know you've already tried uninstalling the game, but have you tried actually going in to the SteamApps folder and deleting the entire Plague folder? Sometimes Steam leaves behind files when uninstalling games through the client. Try that then go in to your library and then going back in to your library and uninstalling the game through your client again (just so you have the option to re-install the game again). Then try reinstalling your game.

Nope, same problem. I've seen the log too and I believe some files are just not where they're supposed to be, and I have no idea which files they are, where they need to be, where they are now, or if they even exist for me at all.
14-03-2014, 07:16 PM
(08-03-2014 01:04 AM)GhostZe Wrote:  
(08-03-2014 12:57 AM)Buddhan Wrote:  Sorry, back again, I just read your log and saw "Could not load a dll file. Make sure that the steam_api.dll/libsteam_api.dylib file is placed at the correct location."

Nope, same problem. I've seen the log too and I believe some files are just not where they're supposed to be, and I have no idea which files they are, where they need to be, where they are now, or if they even exist for me at all.

Concidering what you already mentioned, it almost seems like for some reason when installing the permissions for the folder hierachy weren't correctly set by the installer..

If you could navigate to the PlagueInc folder in the steam folder.

Right click -> Properties. Select "Security" tab.

From here we go to advanced, make sure your standing on "Users" which is inherited from the steam folder.

Select "change permission" and check "Replace all child object permission"
If Permission is already set to "Full Control" then just click apply.

Even though the settings are the same the same, this will set the correct permissions for any file or folder under the PlagueInc folder.

I hope this helps Smile
20-03-2014, 07:08 AM
(14-03-2014 07:16 PM)NoExcusesPa Wrote:  
(08-03-2014 01:04 AM)GhostZe Wrote:  

Concidering what you already mentioned, it almost seems like for some reason when installing the permissions for the folder hierachy weren't correctly set by the installer..

If you could navigate to the PlagueInc folder in the steam folder.

Right click -> Properties. Select "Security" tab.

From here we go to advanced, make sure your standing on "Users" which is inherited from the steam folder.

Select "change permission" and check "Replace all child object permission"
If Permission is already set to "Full Control" then just click apply.

Even though the settings are the same the same, this will set the correct permissions for any file or folder under the PlagueInc folder.

I hope this helps Smile

No help. I'm still getting "you must be connected to steam" as an error message when I run the game.