The forum is now archived and available for reading only. To find older posts, you can use a search engine.
If you need assistance, you can contact our Support or use Steam discussions, Discord or Reddit. Thank you.

A few questions
14-01-2015, 10:18 PM
A few questions
I have a few questions regarding a scenario I'm creating. The basic idea I'm after is creating a scenario where events and government actions continue lowering infectivity throughout the game. I have events set up that should trigger the desired effect in countries throughout the game, however I've run into a few issues that I haven't figured out how to solve. I haven't really play tested it yet since I have a fair bit left to do.

1. With the events I've created, they are set up to keep happening every few days. I want there to be a pop up for the event the first time it happens, but I don't want it to pop up again after that. From the descriptions of functions in the scenario creator, it seems like you can either have pop ups or just a news line but no way to have it do a pop up and then just do news lines. Is there a way to fix this?

2. I want to create a powered ability similar to what the necroa virus and simian flus have, but I don't see any way to make one, even with simple functionality. I want to create a function that increases infectivity in a selected country. I might also want one that auto-infects a selected country, similar to how the trojan horse works but powered by DNA instead of randomly occurring. Is there any way to create these sorts of custom abilities?

3. I have events that affect the cure research contributions as well as the number of infected people in a country. I want to reduce the number of infected people, essentially to cure a small number. However, the only way I see to do this is to use the Additional Infections effect and make it negative. I don't know if there's a better way to do this or not or if that will even work. With both the additional infections and the country's research contributions adjustments, I want to know if there's a way to make them a percentage instead of an integer. I'd like it to be able to scale a bit with the size of the country. 10000 cured people doesn't matter much to China but makes a huge difference to Greenland.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2015, 01:08 AM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2015 01:10 AM by brotherc3ef.)
RE: A few questions
(14-01-2015 10:18 PM)apokalu Wrote:  1. With the events I've created, they are set up to keep happening every few days. I want there to be a pop up for the event the first time it happens, but I don't want it to pop up again after that. From the descriptions of functions in the scenario creator, it seems like you can either have pop ups or just a news line but no way to have it do a pop up and then just do news lines. Is there a way to fix this?

You need two copies of the event. The first version only fires once, and produces a popup. The second version has an event condition so it only fires after the first one, and that's the event which repeats and produces the news item.

(14-01-2015 10:18 PM)apokalu Wrote:  2. I want to create a powered ability similar to what the necroa virus and simian flus have, but I don't see any way to make one, even with simple functionality. I want to create a function that increases infectivity in a selected country. I might also want one that auto-infects a selected country, similar to how the trojan horse works but powered by DNA instead of randomly occurring. Is there any way to create these sorts of custom abilities?

There's an event outcome called "country infectivity bonus" (you need to check "show advanced" to see it). That will allow you to add infectivity that only applies to one country.

Infecting specific countries via traits can be done using the "additional infections" outcome -- see here for an explanation: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/discu...3416360901

(14-01-2015 10:18 PM)apokalu Wrote:  3. I have events that affect the cure research contributions as well as the number of infected people in a country. I want to reduce the number of infected people, essentially to cure a small number. However, the only way I see to do this is to use the Additional Infections effect and make it negative. I don't know if there's a better way to do this or not or if that will even work. With both the additional infections and the country's research contributions adjustments, I want to know if there's a way to make them a percentage instead of an integer. I'd like it to be able to scale a bit with the size of the country. 10000 cured people doesn't matter much to China but makes a huge difference to Greenland.

Yeah additional infections is the way to go, and you can use negative numbers to make people healthy again.

If you want it to be a percentage of the population, then base your numbers on country population. For example: "additional infections = 0 - (country population * 0.0001)" would remove 10K infections in a country of 100M, but only 10 infections in a country of 100K. You could also semi-randomise it, eg: "additional infections = 0 - (country population * 0.0001 * random(1,10))".
15-01-2015, 10:25 PM
(15-01-2015 01:08 AM)brotherca Wrote:  
(14-01-2015 10:18 PM)apokalu Wrote:  1. With the events I've created, they are set up to keep happening every few days. I want there to be a pop up for the event the first time it happens, but I don't want it to pop up again after that. From the descriptions of functions in the scenario creator, it seems like you can either have pop ups or just a news line but no way to have it do a pop up and then just do news lines. Is there a way to fix this?

You need two copies of the event. The first version only fires once, and produces a popup. The second version has an event condition so it only fires after the first one, and that's the event which repeats and produces the news item.

(14-01-2015 10:18 PM)apokalu Wrote:  2. I want to create a powered ability similar to what the necroa virus and simian flus have, but I don't see any way to make one, even with simple functionality. I want to create a function that increases infectivity in a selected country. I might also want one that auto-infects a selected country, similar to how the trojan horse works but powered by DNA instead of randomly occurring. Is there any way to create these sorts of custom abilities?

There's an event outcome called "country infectivity bonus" (you need to check "show advanced" to see it). That will allow you to add infectivity that only applies to one country.

Infecting specific countries via traits can be done using the "additional infections" outcome -- see here for an explanation: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/discu...3416360901

(14-01-2015 10:18 PM)apokalu Wrote:  3. I have events that affect the cure research contributions as well as the number of infected people in a country. I want to reduce the number of infected people, essentially to cure a small number. However, the only way I see to do this is to use the Additional Infections effect and make it negative. I don't know if there's a better way to do this or not or if that will even work. With both the additional infections and the country's research contributions adjustments, I want to know if there's a way to make them a percentage instead of an integer. I'd like it to be able to scale a bit with the size of the country. 10000 cured people doesn't matter much to China but makes a huge difference to Greenland.

Yeah additional infections is the way to go, and you can use negative numbers to make people healthy again.

If you want it to be a percentage of the population, then base your numbers on country population. For example: "additional infections = 0 - (country population * 0.0001)" would remove 10K infections in a country of 100M, but only 10 infections in a country of 100K. You could also semi-randomise it, eg: "additional infections = 0 - (country population * 0.0001 * random(1,10))".

Thanks for the response. I didn't even consider creating more than one event and linking them together. I haven't tested it yet, but I think that will do exactly what I need. The additional infections info is also helpful. I hadn't used the scenario creator enough to be comfortable with the expression editor, but I think you gave me basically what I needed.

The specific infection issue is still a problem though. The main issue is that I'm not really looking for a trait that is evolved to give a one-time boost. I could easily tweak the fungus spore system to do something like that. I want to create an activated ability similar to the ones in the simian flu, where you pay some DNA and you select a location where it takes effect. I don't see any way to create those however, and you can't really adjust the ones from the simian flu. All you can do is fiddle with the parameters.
15-01-2015, 11:08 PM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2015 11:10 PM by brotherc3ef.)
Oh right, no you wouldn't be able to create active abilities.

You could have a trait that's called something like "Infect USA", but then you'd need a separate trait for each country you want to infect, that players can choose between. But there's no way of creating an interface for country selection, like you have with apes and trojan planes.
27-05-2015, 09:28 PM
(15-01-2015 10:25 PM)apokalu Wrote:  
(15-01-2015 01:08 AM)brotherca Wrote:  

Thanks for the response. I didn't even consider creating more than one event and linking them together. I haven't tested it yet, but I think that will do exactly what I need. The additional infections info is also helpful. I hadn't used the scenario creator enough to be comfortable with the expression editor, but I think you gave me basically what I needed.

The specific infection issue is still a problem though. The main issue is that I'm not really looking for a trait that is evolved to give a one-time boost. I could easily tweak the fungus spore system to do something like that. I want to create an activated ability similar to the ones in the simian flu, where you pay some DNA and you select a location where it takes effect. I don't see any way to create those however, and you can't really adjust the ones from the simian flu. All you can do is fiddle with the parameters.

(15-01-2015 11:08 PM)brotherca Wrote:  Oh right, no you wouldn't be able to create active abilities.

You could have a trait that's called something like "Infect USA", but then you'd need a separate trait for each country you want to infect, that players can choose between. But there's no way of creating an interface for country selection, like you have with apes and trojan planes.

Don't forget to read the developer blog on scenario creation! It was very handy when I was doing my first disease. That was the Modified Chickenpox (they said make several saves and test them).