The forum is now archived and available for reading only. To find older posts, you can use a search engine.
If you need assistance, you can contact our Support or use Steam discussions, Discord or Reddit. Thank you.

Infecting an island
12-08-2014, 06:58 PM
Infecting an island
I conquered the world using the bacteria, virus, fungus, parasite, prion, nano-nano (RIP Robin) on Normal so far.

I can't seem to win with the Bio-Weapon.
Not because I can't control the cure or how fast the deaths are but because I keep ending up with an island I can't seem to reach. Such as the Caribbean, Greenland. I even try starting in an island.

Is there some other way to infect the "island" countries that I don't know about?
I have all the Air/Water transmissions fully evolved.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2014, 11:09 PM
RE: Infecting an island
(12-08-2014 06:58 PM)Bobazoi Wrote:  I conquered the world using the bacteria, virus, fungus, parasite, prion, nano-nano (RIP Robin) on Normal so far.

Not because I can't control the cure or how fast the deaths are but because I keep ending up with an island I can't seem to reach. Such as the Caribbean, Greenland. I even try starting in an island.

Is there some other way to infect the "island" countries that I don't know about?

Thanks

Occasionally if you have either full of the carrier transmissions fully evolved (blood/insects and the zooinosis one) you'll get islands spontaneously.
13-08-2014, 12:03 AM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2014 10:45 AM by Luler1a0.)
As copperhamster said, you could try going extreme zoonosis or hematophagy, both allow late contamination of islands without using ships or planes. But they aren't reliable, it won't work often.

Alternatively you can formulate a game plan to reach Greenland effectively. The key, no matter the plague, is to infect Russia ASAP and target it as much as possible to contaminate its ships. To do so, your starting country needs an airport and better if it has an arid climat. You'll be investing in air I and II early, so you want those upgrades to help breaking out of your starting position in addition to infect planes. Also the later your Bio-Weapon gets its first noticed kill the better as this will trigger countries to close their borders, air and seaports.

Here are the details for my method:

Setup: I play a game on mega brutal as I write this to make sure I'm not forgetting stuff. So, Bio-Weapon. Starting genes: ATP-Boost and Patho-Stasis (cf. Phase 1 to see why), others to your liking, they don't matter that much. If you are curious though I used Darwinist (didn't help at all, Genetic Mimic might be a better choice), Native Biome (to get out of my starting country faster, Aerocyte and Aquacyte are also viable), Extremophile (all others are good choices as well, but maybe Urbanophile unless it helps with your prefered starting country). Patient Zero from Saudy Arabia.

Phase 1: Prison break. I tend to first go for the 3 abilities that reduce odds of your lethality increasing randomly (Gene Compression) and one level of Deactivate Modified Gene (it lowers lethality no matter if your plague already mutated or not). That's why you want the ATP-boost and Patho-stasis genes or this start will delay your plague too much (it also make Annihilate much cheaper). Now is time to get out of your starting country as fast as possible (in my case, Saudy Arabia, a hot and arid country), with decent severity to boost your DNA gain from bubbles but without raising too much concern. My favourite symptoms to do this are Skin Lesions and its requirements, Rash and Sweating. Good infectivity, Necrosis is now available to be unlocked if needed, and Sweating will help with Russia. That being done you need to prepare for phase 2 and invest in air I and possibly II. If you did start on an arid country it will kill two birds in one stone, a perfect transition. It will fasten the infection, help with neighbours and raise the odds that the plague will be among the passengers of futur boarding planes.

Phase 2: Operation Greenland. With Air II you'll start boarding planes with barely 1% of your starting country being infected (see screenshot at the end of this post). As your desease starts spreading like a wildfire invest in Drugs I, it affects so many countries you really need it. Get Deactivate Modified Gene II as well (don't worry if you killed a few before that, shouldn't matter) and it's now time to get the plague going within Russia as fast as possible. Cold I, Water I/II, extreme Biarosol, Cold II. And livestock I if you feel it still take too long (I didn't need it). Don't forget to devolve lethal genes if they appear, you don't want the government to close borders yet. On a side note, at that point I'm only really missing Guinea, new Zealand and Greenland, the others I didn't infect yet have neighbours to take care of that.

Phase 3: The waiting game. Until Greenland is infected, time to go back to those symptoms. Avoid the lethal ones still but get at least Coughing and Pneumonia to help with Russia and all the cold countries. I went for Drugs II as well to help further with Canada. And since they are cheap with Patho-Stasis, good time to go for Genetic Hardening I & II as the cure should still be under 10% (turns out I didn't need those but you might if it drags on). 9 months after Patient Zero, Greenland is infected, And so are all the other islands. Just wait a bit more if not, won't take long.

Pase 4: Closing steps. Now that you did the hardest, time to secure the win. Before going lethal try to infect the last countries you missing, to do so depends on your world map. In my case the 3 nordic european countries were the thing to worry about so I went for Birds I (helps crossing land borders). Even if they didn't close the seaports yet I had DNAs to spare. One second later, Sweden was the last country to be infected (others share borders with Russia) and I got a pop-up telling me Spain shut down airports (so far everything was still open). Since it looked like I'd have to deal with rich countries toward the end I went back to symptoms and invested in Cysts, Hyper Sensivity and Abscesses. As I said, I already had Drugs II, but if you are missing it at that point you should definitly get it too. A few seconds later Sweden was infected as well.

Phase 5: Press the kill button. Now you can let lethal symptoms mutate. Unlock the remaining Bio-Weapon special abilities to reach Annihilate but don't unlock it just yet. Monitor the healthiest country, and press the red button when its infection reaches 50% (should be more than safe). Congratulations, you just won, and should have some DNA left to have fun with the rather short time mankind will last through this.

That's one way to do it, and it rarely fails me. Worse that can happen is bad luck with planes going to Russia. Birds I as soon as a neighbour is infected can remedy this.
Here's the screenshot of that game I played while writting this:

[Image: 1024x576.resizedimage]
(Click to see on Steam).

<TL;DR>
A summary to this "Greenland, I'm coming for you" strategy:

Setup. Bio-Weapon, Mega Brutal, ATP-Boost and Patho-Stasis (rest up to you), Saudy Arabia or your prefered starting country (might have to adapt a bit).
Phase 1: Prison Break. Gene Compression I, II, III. Deactivate Modified Gene I. Rash. Sweating. Skin Lesions. Air I, II. Direction Russia.
Phase 2: Operation Greenland. Drugs I. Deactivate Modified Gene II. Cold I. Water I/II. Extreme Biarosol. Cold II.
Phase 3: The waiting game. Coughing. Pneumonia. Drugs II. Genetic Hardening I/II. Wait for Greenland to be infected if it isn't yet.
Phase 4: Closing steps. Depends on what you need to infect still. And if possible identify what country will be the last one standing and tailor your infectivity toward it. In my case (Sweden): Birds I, Cysts, Extreme Sensivity, Abscesses.
Phase 5: Press the kill button. Deactivate Modified Gene III (if you didn't unlock it yet) and all the other requirements toward Annihilate. Activate it when all countries are severely infected.
</TL;DR>

This isn't perfect by the way. To make it better:
  • You can wait a bit more for Deactivate Modified Gene I
  • Might have to pick the second and third ones sooner (or later)
  • Once you got all islands you can go for Necrosis, will cash you some more DNA by killing people while speeding up the infection
  • Pay attention to popups and adapt to the meaningful ones
  • Keep tweaking!
My main goal was to explain what matters using an example on mega brutal to back my claims.

If you still have questions about this strategy, by all means ask. And if it fails for you, make sure you understand what happened and adapt. Good luck !

EDIT: Forgot to mention it, but you don't care if you are spotted early. If it works on mega brutal, you shouldn't have any troubles with that, so enjoy the DNA farm from a decent severity. But still, you don't want lethality early to make sure Greenland doesn't close its seaport.

EDIT 2: The same strategy refined for the other basic types of plague is what I used to beat mega brutal. They play differently but the idea is the same, get out of starting coutry aiming for Russia, then Greenland, kill everyone. But with bacteria, for example, you need easier access to symptoms as you don't have Bio-weapon's Annihilate for the end-game. So go for Sympto-stasis instead and abuse it to achieve the same goal. On the opposite, virus let you get symptoms for free, so get Trans-stasis and enjoy the high mutation rate from all those transmissions.

EDIT 3: The last one I promise. Funny how this illustrate almost all of what I pointed in my "Did you know?" thread: http://forum.ndemiccreations.com/showthr...?tid=1516.

EDIT 4: Broken promise. Typos, clarification and added some details.

EDIT 5: Sigh, broke it twice now. Added the "this isn't perfect" part.
13-08-2014, 03:51 PM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2014 03:59 PM by Bobazoi30b.)
(12-08-2014 11:09 PM)copperhams Wrote:  [quote='Bobazoid1' pid='4306' dateline='1407866299']
Ocasionally if you have either full of the carrier transmissions fully evolved (blood/insects and the zooinosis one) you'll get islands spontaneously.

I did that and with 97% of the world already did I was able to get that last island infected. So then I had to stop the spreading before I killed the host again. But once I slowed down the plague and completely infected that last country it was lights out for the world.

Thanks for the tip.

(13-08-2014 12:03 AM)Luler Wrote:  As copperhamster said, you could try going extreme zoonosis or hematophagy, both allow late contamination of islands without using ships or planes. But they aren't reliable, it won't work often.

Alternatively you can formulate a game plan to reach Greenland effectively. The key, no matter the plague, is to infect Russia ASAP and target it as much as possible to contaminate its ships. To do so, your starting country needs an airport and better if it has an arid climat. You'll be investing in air I and II early, so you want those upgrades to help breaking out of your starting position in addition to infect planes. Also the later your Bio-Weapon gets its first noticed kill the better as this will trigger countries to close their borders, air and seaports.

Setup: I play a game on mega brutal as I write this to make sure I'm not forgetting stuff. So, Bio-Weapon. Starting genes: ATP-Boost and Patho-Stasis (cf. Phase 1 to see why), others to your liking, they don't matter that much. If you are curious though I used Darwinist (didn't help at all, Genetic Mimic might be a better choice), Native Biome (to get out of my starting country faster, Aerocyte and Aquacyte are also viable), Extremophile (all others are good choices as well, but maybe Urbanophile unless it helps with your prefered starting country). Patient Zero from Saudy Arabia.

Phase 1: Prison break. I tend to first go for the 3 abilities that reduce odds of your lethality increasing randomly (Gene Compression) and one level of Deactivate Modified Gene (it lowers lethality no matter if your plague already mutated or not). That's why you want the ATP-boost and Patho-stasis genes or this start will delay your plague too much (it also make Annihilate much cheaper). Now is time to get out of your starting country as fast as possible (in my case, Saudy Arabia, a hot and arid country), with decent severity to boost your DNA gain from bubbles but without raising too much concern. My favourite symptoms to do this are Skin Lesions and its requirements, Rash and Sweating. Good infectivity, Necrosis is now available to be unlocked if needed, and Sweating will help with Russia. That being done you need to prepare for phase 2 and invest in air I and possibly II. If you did start on an arid country it will kill two birds in one stone, a perfect transition. It will fasten the infection, help with neighbours and raise the odds that the plague will be among the passengers of futur boarding planes.

Phase 2: Operation Greenland. With Air II you'll start boarding planes with barely 1% of your starting country being infected (see screenshot at the end of this post). As your desease starts spreading like a wildfire invest in Drugs I, it affects so many countries you really need it. Get Deactivate Modified Gene II as well (don't worry if you killed a few before that, shouldn't matter) and it's now time to get the plague going within Russia as fast as possible. Cold I, Water I/II, extreme Biarosol, Cold II. And livestock I if you feel it still take too long (I didn't need it). Don't forget to devolve lethal genes if they appear, you don't want the government to close borders yet. On a side note, at that point I'm only really missing Guinea, new Zealand and Greenland, the others I didn't infect yet have neighbours to take care of that.

Phase 3: The waiting game. Until Greenland is infected, time to go back to those symptoms. Avoid the lethal ones still but get at least Coughing and Pneumonia to help with Russia and all the cold countries. I went for Drugs II as well to help further with Canada. And since they are cheap with Patho-Stasis, good time to go for Genetic Hardening I & II as the cure should still be under 10% (turns out I didn't need those but you might if it drags on). 9 months after Patient Zero, Greenland is infected, And so are all the other islands. Just wait a bit more if not, won't take long.

Pase 4: Closing steps. Now that you did the hardest, time to secure the win. Before going lethal try to infect the last countries you missing, to do so depends on your world map. In my case the 3 nordic european countries were the thing to worry about so I went for Birds I (helps crossing land borders). Even if they didn't close the seaports yet I had DNAs to spare. One second later, Sweden was the last country to be infected (others share borders with Russia) and I got a pop-up telling me Spain shut down airports (so far everything was still open). Since it looked like I'd have to deal with rich countries toward the end I went back to symptoms and invested in Cysts, Hyper Sensivity and Abscesses. As I said, I already had Drugs II, but if you are missing it at that point you should definitly get it too. A few seconds later Sweden was infected as well.

Phase 5: Press the kill button. Now you can let lethal symptoms mutate. Unlock the remaining Bio-Weapon special abilities to reach Annihilate but don't unlock it just yet. Monitor the healthiest country, and press the red button when its infection reaches 50% (should be more than safe). Congratulations, you just won, and should have some DNA left to have fun with the rather short time mankind will last through this.

That's one way to do it, and it rarely fails me. Worse that can happen is bad luck with planes going to Russia. Birds I as soon as a neighbour is infected can remedy this.

(Click to see on Steam).

<TL;DR>

Setup. Bio-Weapon, Mega Brutal, ATP-Boost and Patho-Stasis (rest up to you), Saudy Arabia or your prefered starting country (might have to adapt a bit).
Phase 1: Prison Break. Gene Compression I, II, III. Deactivate Modified Gene I. Rash. Sweating. Skin Lesions. Air I, II. Direction Russia.
Phase 2: Operation Greenland. Drugs I. Deactivate Modified Gene II. Cold I. Water I/II. Extreme Biarosol. Cold II.
Phase 3: The waiting game. Coughing. Pneumonia. Drugs II. Genetic Hardening I/II. Wait for Greenland to be infected if it isn't yet.
Phase 4: Closing steps. Depends on what you need to infect still. And if possible identify what country will be the last one standing and tailor your infectivity toward it. In my case (Sweden): Birds I, Cysts, Extreme Sensivity, Abscesses.
Phase 5: Press the kill button. Deactivate Modified Gene III (if you didn't unlock it yet) and all the other requirements toward Annihilate. Activate it when all countries are severely infected.
</TL;DR>

• Once you got all islands you can go for Necrosis, will cash you some more DNA by killing people while speeding up the infection
  • Keep tweaking!
My main goal was to explain what matters using an example on mega brutal to back my claims.

If you still have questions about this strategy, by all means ask. And if it fails for you, make sure you understand what happened and adapt. Good luck !

EDIT: Forgot to mention it, but you don't care if you are spotted early. If it works on mega brutal, you shouldn't have any troubles with that, so enjoy the DNA farm from a decent severity. But still, you don't want lethality early to make sure Greenland doesn't close its seaport.

EDIT 2: The same strategy refined for the other basic types of plague is what I used to beat mega brutal. They play differently but the idea is the same, get out of starting coutry aiming for Russia, then Greenland, kill everyone. But with bacteria, for example, you need easier access to symptoms as you don't have Bio-weapon's Annihilate for the end-game. So go for Sympto-stasis instead and abuse it to achieve the same goal. On the opposite, virus let you get symptoms for free, so get Trans-stasis and enjoy the high mutation rate from all those transmissions.

EDIT 3: The last one I promise. Funny how this illustrate almost all of what I pointed in my "Did you know?" thread: http://forum.ndemiccreations.com/showthr...?tid=1516.

Thanks, Lulero. Great tips and strategy. You sound like you really know your stuff when it comes to this game. I was playing the app but I bet the same strategy applies to that as it does the pc version. That being said, I like the fact you can win employing different strategies.
13-08-2014, 04:51 PM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2014 05:03 PM by Luler1a0.)
Glad you liked it, took me longer to write than I thought it would ;-) I own the game on iPad as well and can confirm it works exactly the same way.

I didn't mean this strategy as the only one that can work. Looks like I failed at it but the idea was to start from a basic concept (like going to Greenland) and show how to make it work, covering a lot of aspects that can apply to a lot of other approaches and plagues while doing so.

Helped me as well, writting this sort of guide is a great way to think about what you are doing and learn from the experience.

Back to topic, about extreme zoonosis and hematophagy, I feel that instead of a random, unreliable event they could unlock an ability similar to the fungus spores. But much more expensive. The cost would forbid its use with hidden desease approaches (those are the worse when it comes to DNA farm), even if they can afford it they won't be able to wipe the world with how little they'd have left. If balanced correctly it would still be somewhat unreliable for approaches like the one I described (some severity but no lethality). You'd have to rely on mutations. But it would make early lethal approaches, those are great to get a lot of DNA but you have to rely on those random events to get the last few countries. With this change your goal would be to infect them all but one, allowing you to tailor your strategy ignoring Greenland (for example) and focusing on the other islands. In other word I don't think it would make the game easier but it would allow for new, fresh, reliable ways to eradicate mankind. I'm going to quote this in your related suggestion thread.
14-08-2014, 09:19 AM
(13-08-2014 12:03 AM)Luler Wrote:  As copperhamster said, you could try going extreme zoonosis or hematophagy, both allow late contamination of islands without using ships or planes. But they aren't reliable, it won't work often.

(Click to see on Steam).

<TL;DR>

</TL;DR>

• Keep tweaking!

Love this - what an awesome guide! Thanks for putting the time in to make this!
14-08-2014, 01:23 PM
Thank you, means a lot coming from you!

I made a quick and dirty port on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=299900905
And also a youtube video:

Enjoy Smile
14-08-2014, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 14-08-2014 02:57 PM by Bobazoi30b.)
(13-08-2014 04:51 PM)Luler Wrote:  Glad you liked it, took me longer to write than I thought it would ;-) I own the game on iPad as well and can confirm it works exactly the same way.

I didn't mean this strategy as the only one that can work. Looks like I failed at it but the idea was to start from a basic concept (like going to Greenland) and show how to make it work, covering a lot of aspects that can apply to a lot of other approaches and plagues while doing so.

Helped me as well, writting this sort of guide is a great way to think about what you are doing and learn from the experience.

Back to topic, about extreme zoonosis and hematophagy, I feel that instead of a random, unreliable event they could unlock an ability similar to the fungus spores. But much more expensive. The cost would forbid its use with hidden desease approaches (those are the worse when it comes to DNA farm), even if they can afford it they won't be able to wipe the world with how little they'd have left. If balanced correctly it would still be somewhat unreliable for approaches like the one I described (some severity but no lethality). You'd have to rely on mutations. But it would make early lethal approaches, those are great to get a lot of DNA but you have to rely on those random events to get the last few countries. With this change your goal would be to infect them all but one, allowing you to tailor your strategy ignoring Greenland (for example) and focusing on the other islands. In other word I don't think it would make the game easier but it would allow for new, fresh, reliable ways to eradicate mankind. I'm going to quote this in your related suggestion thread.

Hematophagy must be a Bio-weapon only symptom or transmission?

(14-08-2014 01:23 PM)Luler Wrote:  Thank you, means a lot coming from you!

I made a quick and dirty port on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=299900905
And also a youtube video:

Enjoy Smile

Thanks. That was very good. With the pc version do you have to pop the balloons by pointing with the mouse?
14-08-2014, 03:21 PM (This post was last modified: 14-08-2014 03:26 PM by Luler1a0.)
Extreme Hematophagy is unlocked for all the basic plague types when you got Insect I/II and Blood I/II. Can help reach island with a "contamined package" event, I think you need Drugs I too for it to trigger. And as previously stated, it's not reliable.

I chose not to show the cursor as I find it distracting to watch, but yes you have to.
I don't like it though, makes sense and is fun with a tablet but I'd like to see something different for PC. You might have noticed that I pause the game often to deal with them, you just have to press space, makes it kind of pointless.
Thank you for the kind comment and glad you liked it!
02-06-2015, 03:35 PM
(12-08-2014 06:58 PM)Bobazoi Wrote:  I conquered the world using the bacteria, virus, fungus, parasite, prion, nano-nano (RIP Robin) on Normal so far.

Thanks

Sometimes you can trigger spontanous infection of an island. I dont know if this goes thought animal transmissions but if an island closes all ports I try to evolve extreme homeopathy because it gives you a little chance of infecting a country thought contaminated blood. (Its also an achievement)