The forum is now archived and available for reading only. To find older posts, you can use a search engine.
If you need assistance, you can contact our Support or use Steam discussions, Discord or Reddit. Thank you.

Remove some of the frustration
10-04-2015, 09:56 PM
Question Remove some of the frustration
I found this game to be a great port of the free flash game Pandemic 2, however there are a couple things which make me not want to play/recommend. I also have a few improvement suggestions.

Angry Most scenarios require a 100% kill rate. I find it VERY frustrating when a small island like Madagascar, New Zealand, or Greenland, is all that is left. Makes me want to quit if the cure is 30% and I haven't infected ALL of the islands. Also ignores the human tendency to try to seek out "safe places". I know there the occasional "spontaneous infection" and that is good.
Solution: 99% could be a 'win'. Perhaps a grading scale like one star is 98.5% and 5 stars is 100%.

Angry There is only one cure and it always works. There seems to be no efforts for treatments or vaccines. I know there is the occasional "cure kills people" but the likelyhood that a partial cure or incomplete cure is developed is much greater that proposed.
Solution: Treatments could be developed that reduce intentsety or death that may be countered with traits. Vaccines could reduce or halt infection rates but may be countered with new strain variants. Cures might restore sick people to healthy, but might have a lessened or greater effect over time.

Angry Once developed, the cure is nearly instantly deployed. It would take months or years to develop, produce, and deploy a cure or vaccine.

Dodgy No mention of Incubation or Infectious periods. Seems an omission.
Solution: include a statistic based on traits and stats and such. Ex: Incubation period: 17, hours Infection period begins: 19 hours, First Symptoms appear: 47 hours.

Dodgy No mention of natural immunities or people recovering. I know this isn't included because it is at odds with the 100% kill rate requirement.

I have the PC Steam Early Access verson
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2015, 09:45 AM
RE: Remove some of the frustration
(10-04-2015 09:56 PM)LordZarg Wrote:  I found this game to be a great port of the free flash game Pandemic 2, however there are a couple things which make me not want to play/recommend. I also have a few improvement suggestions.

Angry Most scenarios require a 100% kill rate. I find it VERY frustrating when a small island like Madagascar, New Zealand, or Greenland, is all that is left. Makes me want to quit if the cure is 30% and I haven't infected ALL of the islands. Also ignores the human tendency to try to seek out "safe places". I know there the occasional "spontaneous infection" and that is good.
Solution: 99% could be a 'win'. Perhaps a grading scale like one star is 98.5% and 5 stars is 100%.

Angry There is only one cure and it always works. There seems to be no efforts for treatments or vaccines. I know there is the occasional "cure kills people" but the likelyhood that a partial cure or incomplete cure is developed is much greater that proposed.
Solution: Treatments could be developed that reduce intentsety or death that may be countered with traits. Vaccines could reduce or halt infection rates but may be countered with new strain variants. Cures might restore sick people to healthy, but might have a lessened or greater effect over time.

Angry Once developed, the cure is nearly instantly deployed. It would take months or years to develop, produce, and deploy a cure or vaccine.

Dodgy No mention of Incubation or Infectious periods. Seems an omission.
Solution: include a statistic based on traits and stats and such. Ex: Incubation period: 17, hours Infection period begins: 19 hours, First Symptoms appear: 47 hours.

Dodgy No mention of natural immunities or people recovering. I know this isn't included because it is at odds with the 100% kill rate requirement.

I have the PC Steam Early Access verson

Hey there - thanks a lot for the suggestions. FYI - the game isn't a port of Pandemic 2, the games are unrelated though it was obviously an inspiration Smile

Regarding the cure rate - as soon as the cure reaches 100%, it's almost certain that the player will be cured hence why we wanted to make the deployment instantaneous. This is a case where we made a decision to make the game slightly less realistic in order to hopefully give a better / more efficient gameplay experience!

A lot of your other points re: incubation periods, natural immunities etc. are still cool concepts we hope to cover (the Smallpox scenario already covers vaccines) in future so keep an eye out Smile
27-05-2015, 03:00 PM
RE: Remove some of the frustration
Heres a few things:

A) It depends on where you start (I start where there's usually at least an airport and a port to have a way out besides land)

B) Did you get both of the Genetic Hardening's and at least Drug Resistance 1

C) Did you evolve symptoms (that's why most players lose the game before 50% of the world is infected)

D) For certain diseases, there are "buffers" for environments

E) Did you evolve the transmissions that mutate over time
Find all posts by this user