The forum is now archived and available for reading only. To find older posts, you can use a search engine.
If you need assistance, you can contact our Support or use Steam discussions, Discord or Reddit. Thank you.

Real World Inspiration & More Info
22-07-2014, 06:01 PM
RE: Real World Inspiration & More Info
I think the game does take many of these variables into account as suggested by the popup messages. I assumed that there are circumstances that may or may not occur such as natural disasters or funding in research. It would be nice to know more about the mechanics but that's probably being worked on along with the tutorial.

I like the idea of there be more information about each sort of pathogen and opportunities to learn how real pathogens work and how our bodies fight them, but I'm quite content to just enjoy the jokes popups too.

I really love the game. My biggest gripe is the map... I just think it's a missed opportunity that could be so effective with a few tweaks. Please, please, please make the map more detailed and accurate. You could combine areas into chunks if need be and still show their individual countries. For instance, it'd be so great to learn the names of all the African countries and where they are. Also... (deep breath) I love you UK, but you only get to claim the northern bit of Ireland. Seriously, you simply have to change that. I understand they're just two tiny islands but you have to find a way not to needlessly piss people off.

As an American I think the Canada taking Alaska thing is funny, but that's because our countries have an affection for and a sense of humor about each other. I still think it would be awesome if the map showed the Canadian provinces and the US states within their country chunks. It's would add a level of reality to the game which ultimately makes the game creepier and more fun. And, yay to learning stuff!
Heart

(30-06-2014 03:46 AM)Xflu Wrote:  I think Plague is a very excellent game and here are some ideas which might make it even better. Organized into two parts

First - Real world inspiration
=================
at some point the game says it's a hyper simulator and it is indeed, which gives it a certain charm. things that happen in real world and can also happen in plague simulations include.

- there can be experimental cures. or more than one. which might work or cause mutation (some times no real effect) and sometimes worsen the situation.
- a cure is too expensive (especially if still experimental) meaning it only works in parts of the world or is just slow or not a good cure.
- a cure can become ineffective due to a mutation.
- Mutation can be effected by DNA string complexity, ie, how many gens it has. the more there is the more chance of something going wrong.
- Mutation can mess up DNA strings sometimes. causing devolution or lowering one of the plagues properties. in real life there are Good, Bad & harmless mutations.
- there can be immunizations or other diseases competing that slow down the spread of a plague.
- HIV is dormant for years without any symptoms and that's why it spreads so much. here I'm talking about the time it takes to kill a patient, which should be somewhere in the spreading category.
- areas can be quarantined to contain an epidemic
- Viruses, Bacteria and others are very different in how they kill (or infect) people, respond to drugs, speed of mutation, they are stronger in different stages of an epidermic and they have different reasons for being dangerous.
- ie viruses mutate faster and infect faster but they can die out if they kill more than they infect early on.

Second - Info
=================
the game feels extra cool when you know basic high school biology like, Viruses don't have DNA but RNA. Bacteria have no nucleoli. or that they make spores to spread. or the reasons for rising and drooping in trends of a disease or that antibiotics don't work on viruses as well as they do on bacteria.. or why anthrax is so dangerous, or why the black death entered history books.
- such things can always be there as tool-tips and articles that don't necessarily interfere with game-play. and may be useful in general or just be there for the fun of learning. they defiantly add to the game and make you appreciate it more.

I know not all of that may be practical or useful but just thought to post it anyway let me know what you guys think Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Real World Inspiration & More Info - Xflue - 30-06-2014, 03:46 AM
RE: Real World Inspiration & More Info - emchartreuse - 22-07-2014 06:01 PM